To work in Canada on a temporary basis, you will need to get a Work Permit. There are two main types of work permits. They include:

  • Employer Specific Work Permit: this permit includes the name of your employer, the period you will work, and sometimes the location of your workplace. As the holder, you will have to abide by the terms of the permit.
  • Open Work Permit: with this permit, you can work for any employer. However, you are restricted from working for an employer who does not comply with the International Mobility Program or Temporary Foreign Worker Program, regulations.
  • Post Graduate Work Permit: once you graduate from a DLI, you can obtain work experience to better your chances at Permanent Residency. Applying for this type of work permit allows you to work temporarily in the country. It allows you to work temporarily in the country.

Just like any other Permit, the Work permit has an expiration date. If it expires, you lose your status in Canada. You can change or extend your permit.

It applies to those who change jobs or get their job offers extended. For those who get a new job, you will have to apply for a new work permit, specified to that new position. You can apply for the work permit, from within Canada.

International students can also work during the tenure of their programs, on or off-campus. In some situations, you may not need to have a work permit to work. Upon graduation, you have the option of applying for a Post Graduate Work Permit. You may need to take a medical exam to prove that you are in good health, in some instances.