If you have a particular skill set, you can immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. For consideration under this program, one has to be in the Express Entry System. Here, you will be ranked among other potential candidates based on your ability to contribute to Canada’s economy and skills that you offer.

The program targets individuals who can positively contribute to Canada’s economy and integrate well in the society. Under the Express Entry system, there are three categories that you may fall into:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program:

    It is a program that targets persons who have a specific skill set, namely skill type O and level A or B, according to the National Occupational Classification. Before applying to the program, you should have had a minimum of one year paid experience in a position similar to your primary NOC.

    The education requirement for the program is a Certificate, Diploma or Degree from a Canadian institution of learning. If you didn’t study in Canada, then, your education qualifications should be similar to the levels mentioned above according to the Education Credential Information that you get from an approved agency.

    You will also need to meet a particular language requirement by getting a Canadian Language Benchmark, CLB score of 7.

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program:

    To qualify you will need to have at least a one year offer of full-time employment or a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled trade that you want to pursue, from a Canadian Province or Territorial Authority. You are to meet the NOC requirements for that specific specialized business, too.

    As for language proficiency, you will have to meet the Citizenship and Immigration Canada, CIC, requirements after sitting an approved language test. You should also have a minimum of two years full-time experience within the past five years.

  • Canadian Experience Class:

    For eligibility into the program, you should have at least one year experience in a relevant field, within the last three years. Self-employment or the work you undertook as a full-time student, doesn’t count.

    You will also need to meet a certain level of language requirement according to the National Occupational Classification. It will be determined after sitting for an approved language test. To qualify, you do not need any educational qualifications. However, if you do, it will earn you points in the Express Entry pool.